Personal income tax
* California collects income tax from its residents at the following rates.
For single and married filing separately taxpayers:
1.25 percent on the first $7,060 of taxable income
2.25 percent on taxable income between $7,061 and $16,739
4.25 percent on taxable income between $16,740 and $26,419
6.25 percent on taxable income between $26,420 and $36,675
8.25 percent on taxable income between $36,676 and $46,349
9.55 percent on taxable income of $46,350 and above
* A 1 percent surcharge, the Mental Health Services Tax, is collected on taxable incomes of $1 million or more, making California's highest marginal rate 10.55 percent.
* For married persons filing joint returns and heads of households, the rates remain the same but the income brackets are doubled.
* Residents must complete returns on Form 540EZ, Form 540A (short form), Form 540 (long form) or Form 540-ADS by April 15. When that date falls on a weekend or holiday, filers get until the next business day to submit their state returns.
* You might be able to file your California return electronically at no cost using CalFile if you meet the program's eligibility requirements.
* With Ready Return, eligible California taxpayers can view a pre-filled state tax return, update it if needed and e-file it directly with the state, all at no cost.